Child and Adolescent Inpatient Services
CHILD AND ADOLESCENT INPATIENT SERVICES (CAIS) is the designated children's crisis intervention service (CCIS) for Middlesex, Somerset, Hunterdon and Mercer counties. CAIS is a 24 bed, 24- hour a day, 7day a week intensive in-patient program for children and adolescents ages 5-17 whose psychiatric illness is serious enough to need inpatient treatment and who require specialized care, observation or evaluation that can only be provided in an inpatient setting.
Many of the youths we serve are coping with emotional, social and behavioral health problems such as mood swings or depression, anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder, trauma, thought disorders and psychosis, impulsivity, aggression and anger, hyperactivity and inattention, suicidal thoughts or attempts and other behaviors pose a danger to themselves or others. Our treating teams consist of mental health professionals, including psychiatrists, licensed, registered and advance practice nurses, licensed practical nurses, master's level therapists and social workers, mental health specialists, activities assistants, creative arts therapists, a teacher, a registered dietician and a pharmacist. Our goal is to help youth and families get through these challenging crises and return to their communities. We will do everything we can to make this a brief, healing and positive experience for you and your loved ones.
SERVICES WE PROVIDE:
- Psychiatric and psychosocial assessment and evaluation
- Comprehensive nursing services and medical care
- Laboratory services
- Physical health assessments and health promotion activities
- Dietary/nutritional assessment
- Individualized treatment planning
- Individual and group therapy
- Family therapy, education and support
- Recreational, therapeutic and psycho-educational groups
- Social and emotional learning programming and creative activities
- Medication management, education and monitoring
- Service coordination, discharge planning and referral to community services
- Behavior management and educational services
Youth who are able to benefit from a short-term treatment program which utilizes medical, educational, behavioral and psychological interventions in an open setting may be admitted on an involuntary or voluntary basis. Admission is initiated through a county Designated Screening Center, such as Acute Psychiatric Services (APS) at UBHC in Piscataway, 732-235-5700 or the UBHC Access Center at 1-800-969-5300.