The Violence Institute is a multi-disciplinary center that:
- Conducts research into the causes, prevention, and reduction of all types of violence including youth violence, child abuse, domestic violence and intentional assault injury.
- Develops policies and programs that address violence which are based on good science and objective evaluation and which are cost-effective and implementable.
- Conducts evaluations of programs designed to prevent or reduce violence to determine their efficacy.
- Develops and implements pilot programs designed to reduce or prevent violence.
- Conducts outreach activities including public speaking, training, and presentation of papers at professional meetings that inform practitioners and researchers about what is known about the causes and prevention of violence.
- Conducts policy analyses to inform both state and local governments and agencies.